Erb’s drive to go green
The Erb Group of Companies is proud to participate in many leading initiatives within our industry. When it comes to important issues like food safety, product security and the environment, we are firmly committed to going the extra mile.
Smartway Transport Partnership
Erb is a SmartWay Transport Partner, an innovative collaboration between the U.S., Canada and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the freight industry, designed to increase energy efficiency while significantly reducing greenhouse gases and air pollution.
- Aerodynamic Tractors: Our new tractors with full chassis skirts and full roof fairings are contributing to an overall improvement in our fuel economy
- Auxiliary Power Units: Instead of using diesel fuel, we now operate with auxiliary power units which are battery operated. These batteries charge while the truck is driving, and provide the driver with 8-10 consecutive hours of air conditioning or heat (whichever is required). We also have anti-idle; if the battery power is, for any reason, too low, they immediately begin self-charging.
- Computerized Transmissions: Our trucks are, primarily, no longer manual. There are roughly eight computers in each truck, and our transmissions and engines are able to talk to each other. This ensures that the truck is always in the correct gear to give the driver the best performance and fuel economy.
- Eco Mud Flaps: The patented aerodynamic design of the Eco Flaps splash guard offers a simple solution to two of the greatest challenges in the transportation industry today – reducing fuel costs and improving performance
- Fuel Economy – We prioritize fuel economy and strive to conserve fuel whenever possible. We have fuel economy packages that come with our trucks, which enable us to emit fewer emissions into the environment. We also exclusively use high quality fuel to ensure the performance of our engines.
- LCV’s: Long Combination Vehicles were introduced to high volume traffic corridors, reducing miles and saving fuel and reducing greenhouse gases
- Solar Panels: Our pup trailers (43 ft trailers) are equipped with solar panels to charge the liftgate batteries, conserving fuel
- Tire Inflation Systems: Our Tiremaax systems minimize tire wear by providing a responsive approach to help extend tire life and increase fuel efficiency by keeping trailer tires properly inflated and rolling smoothly
- Tractor Tires: Our fuel efficient tires are SmartWay verified because of the reduced rolling resistance from the dual energy compound tread which extends mileage and the lifetime of the tire.
- Trailer Tails: The first adopters in the Canadian trucking industry, these aerodynamic tails are one of our most significant initiatives, which improve fuel efficiency by 5.5% by streamlining airflow and reducing rear drag.
- Trailer Tires: Ecopia tires are loaded with new technologies and innovations from revolutionary low rolling resistance design to advanced tread compounds, they are setting the standard in terms of eco-performance
- Truck Specs: Using the latest technology in automated transmissions, our high torque engine packages offer cleaner exhaust emissions through diesel exhaust fluid technology
- Two-way Telematics: We introduced OrbComm, two-way telematics for reefer control which can be remotely started and stopped, and the temperature settings can be adjusted to conserve fuel and be more efficient