Achieving and maintaining a healthy work-life balance is one of the most desired, yet difficult, parts of life. Taking your work home with you often becomes an unforeseen part of the job. Sometimes, the line between work and home becomes a blur, and the two often meld into one.
Maintaining a positive work-life balance is crucial and reaps endless benefits. It can enhance your mental health, increase productivity in all aspects of your life, and help maintain your relationships. Unsurprisingly, a predominant stigma surrounding the truck driving industry is that it’s impossible to maintain a work-life balance. FACT CHECK: this is completely attainable while on the road. If you create a good framework and keep it at the forefront of your mind, it becomes even easier.
- ASSESS IT. Settling into a mindless routine is alarmingly easy, so make sure you always keep your work-life balance at the forefront of your mind. Assess your current balance and understand what you need to change, and where you need to direct your attention.
- FIND TIME. During your day, find 15 minutes to do something you enjoy. Surf the web, read a book, or do some exercise. These breaks will leave you feeling refreshed and ready to go.
- LEAVE IT AT THE OFFICE (or in the truck). Although it’s easier said than done, try and leave your work frustrations at work. There will always be unsatisfied employees, customers, or coworkers; don’t let this follow you home.
- SCHEDULE IT. If you have to include “spend time alone” or “spend time with family” in your agenda, then do it. It’s easy to make prioritize work rather than home life, and a small reminder can do a lot of good.
- POWER DOWN. At the end of the day, turn the computer (or truck) OFF. When you power down, so should the work area of your brain. Focus on your home life, your friends, your hobbies, and your happiness!
Whether our employees are in the office or on the road, Erb strongly encourages them to maintain a healthy work-life balance. We offer our Highway to Health program, with initiatives to eat healthy and remain active. We also engage employees in team building exercises such as the Habitat for Humanity team build (offered through Trucks for Change), ensuring they get a break from work and focus on feeling good and giving back. Studies, unsurprisingly, show that those who prioritize a positive work-life balance are more productive in all aspects of their life.
Remember all of this when you consider trucking! Contrary to popular belief, being a truck driver can incorporate a healthy and positive work-life balance. Erb even offers many local shifts that get you home every evening. Incorporating these tips can also help you while on the road if you choose a longer run; the ease of it all might even surprise you.
Today, when you turn off your computer, step out of your truck, or finish your shift, remember to take a little (or a lot of) pleasure in powering down.